The UNC Charlotte Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering invites interested applicants to apply electronically for available positions at UNC Charlotte's Applicant Site.
Research Associate (Position #003975)
The UNC Charlotte Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering invites applications for a Research Associate starting in July 2017. The candidate will be responsible for providing day-to-day leadership and coordination for large research projects in the areas of building science and technology. The candidate is expected to lead such activities with only high-level strategic guidance from the supervisor on a weekly basis. Specifically this means:
- The candidate is expected to coordinate and lead research meetings with project partners (both internal and external).
- The candidate will be independently responsible for coordinating and approving the design and implementation of all data collection and analysis activities.
- The candidate is expected to work with the supervisor to develop the direction of the research plan.
- The candidate will be responsible for independently leading the development of major research publications for both journals and conferences.
- The candidate will be responsible for independently directing the actions of a multi-person internal research group with minimal guidance from the supervisor.
This candidate is intended to act as a co-Principal Investigator on the associated research projects and thus is expected to be able to make major decisions about the direction and specifics of the research independent of the supervisor, including decisions about experiment design and decisions about non-capital equipment purchases. The candidate is expected to serve as the supervisor for multiple internal researchers at the graduate and undergraduate level that are funded by the work. They will have discretion as needed in all day-to-day decisions associated with the work. The supervisor should only be required for final signature as needed.
The candidate is expected to meet weekly with the supervisor for discussions about the overall strategic arc of the research. The supervisor would expect that the candidate would have the knowledge necessary to act independently on questions about methods and execution of day-to-day research activities without any input. The supervisor expects that the candidate is capable of performing all duties of a Principal Investigator.
This position requires a minimum of a M.S. in any field of engineering or a Masters of Architecture degree; however, a PhD in any field of engineering or an affiliated discipline is preferred. The candidate must display a knowledge of data analysis and how it applies in the field of building systems. The candidate must also understand appropriate sensors and technologies. Examples of previous conference and journal publications is preferred, particularly if associated with building energy performance.
Applications must be made electronically at https://jobs.uncc.edu/ (EHRA position #003975). Applicants are required to submit a resume/curriculum vitae, cover letter/letter of interest, and contact information for at least three references. It is recommended that the candidates also submit a research interest statement. Applications will be reviewed upon receipt.